Arbor Day is a holiday that encourages everyone to get out and plant trees! Trees provide the very necessities of life itself – they clean our air, protect our drinking water and create healthy communities. There are plenty of ways to take action – you can donate to a reputable organization like arborday.org to plant trees for you, or you can participate in this fun DIY activity featuring our Recycled Planters!
You Will Need:
- A clean and empty tin can
- Plant or seeds (we chose a pothos)
- White Paint
- Paint Brush
- Black Marker
- White Sheet of Foam
- Pink Felt
- Googly Eyes
- Cotton Ball
- Two Popsicle Sticks
- Fill your tin can with soil, then, using your hands, make a hole to place your plant or seeds into. If you don’t have a tin can, a water bottle cut in half works just as well! Water your plant and bring inside for some decorating!
- You can decorate your recycled planter however you’d like – use paints, glitter, sequins, stickers and whatever else your heart desires. We’ve decided to turn them into adorable bunnies!
- To create our Recycled Bunny Planters, first, paint your planter white. Allow time to dry between coats.
- While we’re waiting for our planters to dry we can work on making the ears. Begin by folding your sheet of white foam in half. Next, draw a single bunny ear on the foam using your black marker. Using your scissors, cut along the line you drew on the folded sheet of foam to create two identical bunny ears.
- Repeat step 4 with the pink felt. Remember to make these smaller – they will lay on top of the white pieces you just cut out.
- Next, glue down the pink pieces of felt on top of the white pieces of foam. You should have what looks to be two bunny ears.
- Glue each ear down onto a popsicle stick. Determine the front of your planter and stick each stick into the soil to look like bunny ears!
- Whip out your googly eyes – using a small dab of glue, glue them on the front of your planter.
- With your pink felt, cut out a small triangle. Glue upside down under your eyes to create the nose for your bunny.
- On the back of your planter, glue down the cotton ball to make your bunny’s tail.
- Finally, draw a lowercase “w” under the pink nose to create the mouth.
Premium Newsletters and Calendars for the Health Care Industry! We’ll design, print and ship your custom calendar and/or Newsletter directly to your facility. It’s Fast and Easy! Click Here to sign up for yours today!