It’s DIY Friday! Let’s join forces to create an army of tie-dye for Armed Forces Day! Did you know before President Harry S. Truman declared Armed Forces Day, each branch in the military had their own special day? Now the annual celebration commemorates all branches of the military at once! Here’s to all of our brave soldiers in every branch – Thank you for all that you do!
You Will Need:
- A white cotton t-shirt
- Rubber Bands
- Blue & Red Tie Dye Mixture with Bottles (Accessible at Walmart or Michael’s)
- Two Plastic Bags
1. Start with a clean white, cotton t-shirt (other fabrics have a hard time holding color). Lay your t-shirt out as wrinkle-free as possible.
2. Starting on one side of your t-shirt, under the armpit, begin to fold your t-shirt in 1-inch sections back and forth to look like an accordion.
3. Once you reach the other side of the t-shirt and the bottom half of your shirt is scrunched up, grab a rubber band and tie it around your shirt. Do this with as many rubber bands as needed to maintain its accordion shape.
4. You should be left with a tuft of fabric including the sleeves and collar. Take the fabric and ball it up. Wrap a few rubber bands around this part to keep its shape. You should be left with something like this:
5. Now that we’re all prepped, we can get to tie-dying! For these next couple of steps, you’re going to want to work outside.
6. Using the instructions on the tie-dye box, mix your dye.
7. On the accordion side of your t-shirt apply a liberal amount of red dye. Be careful not to get any on the top half of your shirt. We held the shirt over a paper bowl, squeezed dye onto the shirt. The bowl helped to catch any extra dye not absorbed.
8. Once the accordion is coated, take a plastic bag and tie it around that part of the shirt to keep it from touching anything.
9. On the top half of your shirt liberally cover it with blue dye.
10. Like the bottom half, tie a plastic bag over the top half of your shirt.
11. Place in a container to soak overnight.
12. When the shirt is dry, remove it from the bags and cut the rubber bands.
13. When you open it up you should be left with stars and stripes!
14. Wash your shirt in cold water and you’re ready for Armed Forces Day!
Premium Newsletters and Calendars for the Health Care Industry! We’ll design, print and ship your custom calendar and/or Newsletter directly to your facility. It’s Fast and Easy! Click Here to sign up for yours today!